Stayed really late last night to watch the Apple Event on my Apple TV. After the boring discussions about the Apple Watch, Tim Cook eventually introduced the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
At 12.9-inch diagonal size, the screen is much like most laptops there currently are in the market. I surmise it is now positioned to take on the laptop market this time. That is, if those who consider replacing their work laptop with the iPad Pro are not deterred by the idea of expending additional dough for the Smart Keyboard and/or Apple Pencil.
Quick specs of the iPad Pro:
- Size: 6.9mm thin
- Weight: 1.57 pounds
- 12.9-inch Retina display with 2732 x 2048 resolution at 264 ppi and fingerprint-resistant oleophobic, antireflective coating
- 64-bit Apple A9X processor (1.8x better than the A8X chip it replaces)
- M9 motion coprocessor
- 32/128GB of storage
- 8-megapixel iSight camera with f/2.2 aperture, 5-element lens, True Tone flash and 4K video recording
- 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac with MIMO
- LTE up to 150Mbps
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Battery life (10 hours of video/Wi-Fi browsing)
- Four speakers
- Dual microphones
- iOS 9 with special tablet-friendly multitasking features
- Apple Pencil stylus
- Special keyboard for iPad Pro – the Smart Keyboard
- Colors: Gold, Silver and Space Gray
Watch Phil Schiller present the iPad Pro:
Personally, I’m not sure if I should get an iPad Pro for myself. One thing is certain, though — after looking at the design and specs of the iPad Pro, my iPad 2 looks old and rusty.